At Vistamar, the arts are considered a vital part of a comprehensive education. Beginning with the Class of 2027, students are required to take two full years of visual or performing arts with each course taken over a period of three successive trimesters. Many students choose to continue taking art courses beyond the graduation requirement, and find value in other extracurricular creative options such as theatre productions, clubs, and exploratory courses.
Upon graduating from Vistamar, students who have participated in one or more of the visual arts and performing arts will have developed:
- A creative foundation for learning and inquiry
- Critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills
- Comfort with embracing risk as a key component of growth
- Tools and techniques for effective expression of self and ideas
- Skills in communications and collaboration
- A more direct connection to the individual artistic impulse
- An understanding and appreciation of the arts
- Life-long skills to contribute to a vibrant social and cultural life.