Vistamar enhances critical thinking and innovative problem solving skills through the application of computer science. Our goal is to help students become designers, computational thinkers, and global collaborators. Using our project-based curricula, students take an active role in choosing their own learning goals and developing competency in achieving those goals. Students learn to curate critically a variety of resources using digital tools to construct knowledge, produce creative artifacts and generate meaningful learning experiences for themselves and others. Upon graduating from Vistamar, students will be ready to confront real-world problems with confidence using some of the most modern tools available. The department offers a variety of courses in which students learn the fundamentals of writing code, programming hardware, and building mobile apps. After this foundational course, students can pursue further interests in the field by taking Introduction to Computer Science, AP Computer Science A, and Robotics courses. Additionally, students interested in robotics can join the competition club to design, build, and program a robot that the team will use in competitions with other schools in our league.
Computer Science Objectives
- Recognize the rights, responsibilities, and opportunities of living in an interconnected digital world, and model the safe, legal and ethical use of technology
- Demonstrate the power of technology by using different types of technology during a design process to identify and solve problems and create new and creative solutions
- Use digital tools to broaden understanding of problems and enrich learning through effective collaboration with others, both locally and globally
- Communicate clearly and creatively for different purposes using various platforms, tools, styles, formats, and digital media
- Intro to Computer Science
- AP Computer Science